Monday, June 8, 2009

Past Imperfect (Tense)

In the past week, I've seen three movies which, before having seen them, I would have assumed had nothing in common. Oddly, though, they all seem to have a very important thing in common: Imperfect Pasts. 

** Sidenote ** That's "Imperfect Pasts" not "Imperfect Pasta" which is what I've typed about 5 times, now. If you see any references to Pasta later in this post, please ignore it. Unless, of course, I actually start talking about Pasta. But you're all smart people. I'm sure you'll be able to tell the difference. ** End Sidenote **

Movie Number 1: The Reader. Okay. I fully admit that I got this from Netflix and did everything I could to avoid it for about 3 weeks. But I finally decided I needed to send it back, and felt like I really should watch it first. If you don't know much about The Reader, it stars Kate Winslet as a woman who is on trial for crimes committed during the Holocaust, but that is simply the easiest portion of the movie to describe. You see, the movie is also about how she gets there, as well as what happens after. Without what she does in her youth, there would be no reason for the rest of the movie. Her imperfect past forces her down a specific path. Or does it? Thanks to some really good film-making (and, apparently, an amazing book as source material), that question of "What caused this to happen?" is left without a solid answer. It's an absolutely heart-wrenching movie, and worth every wrench. Overall score: A

Movie Number 2: Duplicity. Not only did I see this in the same week as The Reader, but I actually saw it on the same day. Nothing like a little cinematic overload. Luckily, I saw the difficult movie first, and saved the mildly fluffy heist flick for second. So here's the deal: Julia Roberts and Clive Owen play... well... let's call them "experts in corporate espionage." They've known each other for years, and have developed a mostly-happy relationship throughout their imperfect pasts. Unfortunately, as you might guess from the title, there is a certain amount of duplicitousness going on. There's crossing and double-crossing. Faking out and faking out the fakers. It is funny at times, as well as being a little tense and serious. But, in the end, the ending is quite satisfying. (I know... I know... Where else would the ending be?) So... Worth going to the theater for? We found it at a $2 theater, so, yes. Satisfying enough if you keep your expectations a little low? Sure. Overall: B+ (it's long and a little slow at times).

Movie Number 3: Up. You wouldn't think that a Disney/Pixar film would fit into this whole "past imperfect" topic, would you? I was just as surprised as you probably are as I watched the opening scenes of the movie. There is a larger-than-expected amount of overcoming the past, though, that happens in the movie. Which is not to say that anyone's past in this movie was "imperfect," but, instead, the idea of the future which they had developed in the past may not have been quite right. (Did that make sense?) Here's the important thing you need to know: The movie is amazing... not quite as amazing as Wall-E was a year ago, but still evocative, emotion-filled, and downright thought-provoking. It also has some stunning animation (check out the fabrics in the curtains... or the way the dogs' hair moves) and a nice -- but not overly dwelt upon -- moral. Great for little kids? Maybe not below about age 5. Worth sitting through any screaming kids for? Even I would say yes. Overall: A

Three movies. Many imperfect pasts. A great week for film-watching. (And, for some reason, now I want pasta...)

No comments: