Saturday, September 19, 2009

Abounding Anachronisms

Sighted Saturday at the Minnesota Renaissance Festival (a mix of good and bad, I'll let you decide which was which):

A "plus size" (oh... don't hate me... she was plus many many sizes...) woman in what looked like a "Belle" dress from the Disney version of Beauty and the Beast.

A whole lot of kilts, including a couple of full-on over-the-shoulder wrap-style ones and, of course, a few "Utilikilts." (The latter made my plaid cargo shorts a little pocket-envious.)

A t-shirt which said "The Bible talks about Saint Paul, but never mentions Minneapolis."

A gentleman in full-on armor. (Remember -- this is one of the warmest Septembers on record. I saw him when it was about 85 degrees out. He was desperate for shade, and I don't blame him.)

WAY too many shirts with the word "wench" on them.

A guy who looked like he had taken a quilted sleeping bag, cut out holes for his head and arms, and cinched it at the waist as a tunic. (Again. In 85-degree weather. Ouch.)

My friend Kelly (not the movie-goer Kelly, another Kelly), who was singing with the Elizabethan Singers. (We got to hang out for a while -- very fun.)

Enough blowing dust and plant stuff to make my sinuses go "ba-zow-y" by the time I got home. (Okay... didn't really "sight" that... but you get the idea.)

Darth Vader and some Storm Troopers. (Okay. I didn't actually see them. Kelly said she did, though.)

A contingent of the Red Hat Ladies society -- one in Renn Fest garb. (Gotta give her credit for finding purple and red for that.)

And, of course, some very well-attired folks, some very well-intentioned folks, and some very, well, "interesting" folks.

Perhaps another Mead would have helped.

No comments: