Thursday, June 29, 2017

Sandwich Prep - One Month In

Remember how I posted at the end of May that I was planting tomato plants in the hopes of having tomatoes at some point this summer? The plants were so small and cute and photogenic back then. (You mean you don't remember? Luckily, I have a link to that post right here.)

Well, it's now been a month since those little guys were planted, and I believe we've reached the toddler stage. They're growing pretty well - or at least the surviving three (out of the original four) seem to be doing well.

The set of two, who are slightly surrounded by irises, have reached about 10 or 12 inches tall:


While, at the other end of the same planting bed, our single (not exactly sure what it did with its bedmate - not sure I want to know), is also doing quite well, without the iris interference:



Of course, just as I was feeling pretty good about my plants, I went for a short walk this morning and passed two gardens where the tomato plants are probably three feet tall and already flowering. Which means that they'll have tomatoes a good month or two ahead of me. But - hey - theirs probably won't have been documented in the blogosphere from the time they were just seedlings.

By the way, I don't want you to think that the only thing in our garden is tomatoes. Among the flowers in some pots near our back door you'll also find Super Chilis (really - that's what they're called), which are already blooming and producing the fruit which could, eventually, become part of a spicy, tomato-y dish:

In the meantime, well, I guess I'll just keep going to the grocery store or hunting down a farmers' market or two - because stalking my neighbors' plants would probably be fairly unneighborly.

-----
What's your favorite summertime food? Is there some family recipe that always shows up at the Fourth of July that you're not really sure is actually food? Let me know your thoughts and maybe your food comments and questions will factor into a later post!
 

No comments: