Saturday, April 9, 2011

Are We There, Yet?

It was in the 60s, today. Not exactly sunny, but bright and warm and really kind of hope-inducing.

This morning, Christopher and I took our moms to the Macy's Flower Show in downtown Minneapolis. Gorgeous flower displays. Hopeful trees. Tons of people. And the scent of spring everywhere.

So, this afternoon, I gave in to some of my stronger urges and went out into the yard to clean up some of the garden planting beds. I was originally going to just go out and trim down the dead ornamental grasses from beside the driveway and in the pots along the front walk. After all, according to our neighbors who are supposed to know, the yards are still too wet for much work.

But, as I was working along the driveway, I noticed how much was actually growing underneath the detritus of last fall, and so I started raking. And then I moved to the backyard, where I raked for awhile longer. Followed by cutting back the clematis vines which were actually already starting to show green on the interior (which makes me a little worried about how those will grow in the coming weeks).

When all was said and done, I had two bags of yard waste sitting on the boulevard. If we can just make it through the severe weather being predicted for the next 24 hours (severe weather? really? we just got done with the threat of snow, for chrissike!), then we might actually have some spring flowers soon.

I know that I'm supposed to be focused on the journey and not the destination, but this is one destination I really can't wait for.

No comments: