Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Decisivity

I am, for the most part, a very decisive person. When presented with options which need to be whittled down in short order, I'm the kind of person who typically just makes a choice and is done with it. And - usually - I don't deal with any kind of "buyer's remorse."

But, at the same time, sometimes I'm horrible at acting on the decisions I've made. For instance, I'll decide that it's time to buy a new pair of shoes because the ones I've got are starting to wear out. But then it will take me another couple of months to actually buy the new shoes.

I'll decide, after debating the pros and cons, that I want to take a specific trip (not simply that I want to take a trip, because we all know that I always want to take a trip), but then I'll spend a while rolling it around in my head before getting around to booking it.

That last one is what I'm dealing with right now. I've made the decision to take a weekend trip to a conference in September. I've looked into hotels. I've contacted people I might meet up with. I've researched the schedule. But I haven't actually booked any of it, yet. I haven't even requested the day I need off from work.

I've been trying to figure that out for the past couple of days. I know that part of my delay is making sure I have the cashflow to do it. But there also seems to be some lingering "but what if something comes up?" going on. (Because the best hotel rates are non-refundable, of course.)

So I'm kind of sitting in the middle. Deciding that I'm going to travel, but not sure when - exactly - or where I'll be - exactly.

If this were a matter of great importance, I'd have taken care of it all months ago. As it is, however, it seems that my decisivity meter is on the fritz.

No comments: