Saturday, September 20, 2014

You Know It's An Odd Day When...

I took my car in to the shop last night to get the tires rotated and balanced. I've been getting some odd road noise, lately, and I figured that should fix it. Since I bought them all at the same shop, they do this for free - along with an alignment. So I was all set for that.

This morning, they called and suggested I add an oil change to the list (I was about due, so I figured why not...), and they offered to (finally) fix one of my brake lights that has been a problem for a while (the bulb isn't the problem, the connection is, which put that out of my wheelhouse).

So I was set to have Christopher drive me over to the shop this morning, run a couple of errands, and then come home. Notice that I expected Christopher to drop me off before the errands - he's not a big fan of them.

But he offered to actually run errands with me, which made for a fun late morning/early afternoon. We finally signed up for a membership at the new food Co-op near us (I'm definitely taking my Mom there the next time my folks are in town), we went to the post office and the bank, and then we split up for a bit to tackle the grocery store (me) and the liquor store and pet food store (Christopher). After a quick lunch, we were finally at the shop to pick up my car.

(This is where the title of the post comes in.)

I walked in with my cup of soda in one hand, and an old "flapper" from my toilet tank in the other. As I went to hand over my credit card, I set them both on the counter. The guy just looked at me, and then at the stuff on the counter.

"Looks like you're having an interesting day."

"Yeah. You know it's going to be an odd day when you walk out of the house with part of your toilet in your hand."

"At least it's something small."

"True. But when you're reaching back there to pull it out of the tank - even though your mind tells you the water is perfectly clear - it's still one of those things..."

The guy at the counter and the guy behind him both laughed, then wished me good luck as I walked out to claim my car.

(For the record, the local Ace hardware had the replacement piece I needed and I had it all swapped out within minutes of getting home. Now we just need to get the chain length sorted out so that it falls correctly and seals the valve every time...)

No comments: