Monday, October 5, 2015

I Am . . . Spellcheck?

There's nothing like working on a project for an author for about six months, rewriting large sections of the manuscript, editing, verifying sources, and doing your best to really bring out the heart of the work.

It can be incredibly rewarding in and of itself.

But it's still nice to hear from an author and be told that he appreciated the work you put in.

Of course, there are the times when you really wish the author had just kept his mouth shut.

For instance, the author of the book I did work on for - literally - six months of this year, and for whom I just wrote really good back cover copy (even though I think the book is kind of a crap premise on the whole), wrote in today to say:

Robert worked with me on this earlier this year correcting the spelling, etc. 

Yep. The tens of thousands (again, literally) of changes I made to move it into standard English, the hours I spent researching his quotations online, and the days I spent just trying to make sentences make the most basic of sense... all of that - in the eyes of the author - was a glorified spellcheck.

Warms the cockles of my heart, it does, to hear such praise.

No comments: