Saturday, February 15, 2014

The Failure of Prohibition

I totally get why Prohibition failed in the early 20th century in the United States.

I'm not a big drinker. I have friends who will go out with us and seem genuinely surprised when I have a glass of wine or a cocktail or a beer. Christopher's parents (remember - we've been together for eight and a half years) occasionally re-ask me whether or not I drink at all (since I frequently drive when we go to visit them, I tend not to drink).

But I do like wine. And beer. And some cocktails. And on weekends like this I realize how much I like them.

You see, due to a weird non-sinus/sinus/jaw infection thing, I'm on some antibiotics which don't mix with alcohol. Basically, I was told that this stuff won't just have its efficacy impacted by alcohol, but it would actually make me sick to mix the two. And, you know, I'm taking the antibiotics so that I can *stop* being sick, so I really don't want to work against that.

But the week was kind of long, and Christopher left yesterday morning for a few days, and I got home last night and thought "I could really go for an Amaretto and Coke." But... yeah... those antibiotics. So I just had the Coke, instead.

Then tonight, as I have been sitting and watching TV, I found myself thinking "A drink would go really well with this..." After which I reminded myself that maybe chocolate milk would be good.

I finish my antibiotics in a couple of days, and should be able to have a drink by about Wednesday (apparently they take 2 days to fully work their way out of your system). Luckily, that's the same day Christopher gets home, so possibly we'll be able to celebrate by raising a glass.

I cannot imagine what it would have been like to get a craving for alcohol on February 15, 1920, and have had to wait a little more than 13 years to actually have a drink.

1 comment:

Robin said...

I would think that by the end of 13 years (or even 1/2 that) you wouldn't really care any more. It's the short-time frames that make things harder.