Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Stepping It Up

We are becoming one of those pet families. Oh, who am I kidding, we've always been that kind of pet family. So what is making me feel differently this week? Steps.

We have purchased steps which now live at the foot of the bed, because the pup turned 11 a little bit ago, and has been having trouble jumping up on the bed.

We've also started her on Glucosamine, and now I'm kind of jealous because hers is apparently a very tasty chewy treat, while the kind I take is a huge pill I have to swallow.

But the important thing is the steps. We put them next to the bed and had to spend a few nights coaxing her up them. She was not a fan - we're guessing it's a combination of the texture of the fabric on the treads, and the sound of the plastic - but she has begun to adjust.

She's choosing to use them from time to time, instead of waiting for one of us to lift her up. And I think she's kind of enjoying the freedom that gives her.

I, on the other hand, am also learning to adjust to the steps. They're not small - and our bedroom is not large. So when I walk around to my side of the bed I'm now dodging the steps. Most of the time it's fine, but when I got up yesterday morning I almost killed myself as I bent to pick something up off the floor and came within inches of taking a header across the room.

But I survived, and she's happy, so we're just taking one more step toward our lives as those people.

No comments: