Sunday, August 16, 2015

The Epitome of Editing Needs

I've been working on a really difficult manuscript at work this week. It's short - which is good - but it was written by someone who doesn't own a computer and had to borrow one to put it together and send it to us.

I suspect - based on the book's subject matter - that the author has also done a certain amount of drug use over time. Based on the writing, I suspect some of it was while the book was being written.

But that's not the point of this post. The point of this post is that Spellcheck only helps if you have it on your computer AND you actually pay attention to it.

When I opened the manuscript, MS Word informed me that there were too many incorrect words for them to all be marked. (That's never a good sign.)

Today, I came across one of the "best" misspelled words: "appitamy."

Based on context, I figure out that he meant "the perfect example of..." something - the epitome of it.

I gotta tell you... it's the epitome of something, but that something sure ain't good.

No comments: