Saturday, July 25, 2015

When Low Maintenance Isn't

I am, for the most part, really low maintenance when it comes to most of my electronics. Okay. So maybe I'm a Luddite in disguise. Either way, I'm not really up-to-date on most personal electronics.

I have a flip phone. I have a laptop which is multiple years old.

These things work fine for me, and I don't see any reason to update them, since they work.

But they don't always work.

For instance, when Christopher and I were in Paris this spring and were trying to coordinate with our friends, we had to rely on his smartphone to do all of the coordinating. It worked, but I don't think either of us was particularly thrilled by the situation.

And, today, I found that my computer has started deciding it needs to shut down from time to time for no apparent reason. It's old. It was refurbished when I bought it. But that doesn't mean I'm okay with it crapping out on me for no reason in the middle of typing.

So now I'm thinking about upgrading my electronics - but my bank account has not been upgraded to match. Suddenly my low-tech, low-maintenance life is becoming much higher-maintenance for, possibly, higher-tech.

And the worst part (for me, at least) is the fact that making the move from low-tech to high-tech is going to make my low-maintenance life really high-maintenance for a while.

No comments: