Saturday, March 28, 2015

A Taxing Evening

(For the record, yes, it is hard to come up with so many punny post titles. And, yes, I said "punny" and not "funny" - I realize the level of this, after all...)

How do the well-heeled of Minneapolis spend their spring Saturday nights? By doing their taxes, of course.

I find that they get more depressing every year. Mainly because this is the one time of year when I'm forced to look at my net income. I realize that my financial net income is not the same as my personal net worth, but it's still a shock every year to look at it and think "Really? That's all?"

On the other hand, I also get to look at it and think "Wow. I did a lot with not much this year. Imagine what I could do with a lot..." And then I daydream for a while as the tax software processes. (I used to love "conquering them" all on my own, but I gave up on doing them by hand about the time I moved to Minnesota. First it was because I had partial-year residencies to deal with. But then I just found it to be so much easier to do this way. Not quite the same feeling of victory, but at least the pain doesn't last as long.)

So now it's after 9. I'm all e-filed and printed, and ready to... I dunno... probably go to bed.

Yep. Excitement runs rampant around here.

1 comment:

Robin said...

we had a taxing day, too - but we have a wonderful person (in Florida) that takes all the hassle out of it. We just wait for him to tell us what we owe. :-(