Sunday, March 8, 2015

On-again, Off-again

If you've been reading my blog for any length of time, you know that technology and I are kind of... well... we work together because we have to... usually. 

Yes, there are parts of technology that I really like, like electric lights, and hot water, and even using my computer to write this blog. 

But - much the same as with my car (another piece of technology I greatly enjoy using) when something goes wrong, I'm frequently flummoxed. 

Lately, our Internet connection seems to be coming and going. We're not sure if it's actually the fault of the cable company, the fault of our router (which for many years I thought was only a piece of woodworking equipment), or some combination of things. 

What we do know is that sometimes we're connected to the Internet, and sometimes we're not. 

As you might imagine, there are times when I quite enjoy this. 

I enjoy having the "pressure" to go online taken away. After all, with no Internet, I don't have to check the social networks. I don't have to follow breaking news. I don't have to consider doing a really quick weekend check of my work queue. 

But there are also times when the world we live in kind of requires Internet access. Like yesterday, when I needed to get online to do two pieces of freelancing. Or tonight when I wanted to update our TiVo, but it's also not connected to the Internet (okay... maybe that's not really a requirement). Or... well... when I started to put up a blog post the other day but simply couldn't. 

I'm sure that we'll figure this out pretty soon, and be back to the over-connected life of the 21st century. In the meantime, though, I'll do my best to keep my senses of humor and perspective - and my sanity - as our on-again, off-again Internet relationship continues. 

No comments: