Saturday, June 6, 2015

Where, Oh Where...?

There are moments when I realize that I have no idea where things are.

I'm not talking about my keys, or my glasses (I'm one of those people who has had glasses since he was a little kid, so I always know where my glasses are).

I'm talking about geographical things.

I mean... I do pretty darned well with maps, and when faced with map quizzes (or while watching The Amazing Race), I usually know where things are. But I sometimes get things confused.

Yesterday, for instance, I was talking about Cancun, and said that I thought there was an imminent tropical storm. But as soon as I said that, I thought "I'm pretty sure that's wrong."

When I finally got to look at a map, I realized that Cancun is on the Yucatan Peninsula (the piece of Mexico that separates the Gulf of Mexico from the Atlantic Ocean on most maps). The tropical storm, on the other hand, is on the western side of Mexico, near Cabo San Lucas and Baja California.

Yeah... Nowhere near where I was thinking.

What frustrates me the most is that I really should have known this. After all, I watched enough Love Boat when I was growing up to know that the ports of call from Los Angeles were Cabo San Lucas, Puerto Vallarta, and Acapulco... Captain Steubing would have been so disappointed in me.

1 comment:

Robin said...

But at least you knew you were wrong…and checked. So many people don't have a clue.
And the weather forecast for Cancun is thundershowers every day - so they could be tropical storming, too.