Saturday, November 30, 2013

Answers and Questions

Sometimes, getting good customer service is really all about knowing the right answers - and the right questions.

I was helping my folks do some shipping, today, at a UPS Store, and we had three packages to ship and were in a bit of a hurry. Luckily, there was no one in the store in front of us, so as I walked in with the first box, I set it on the counter, saying "We've got three boxes." Which was met with "All going to the same place?"

I had no idea, so I waited until Dad brought the next one in before I said "Yep."

The transaction probably could have taken ten minutes or more, but since I've shipped with them numerous times, I knew which answers to give before the questions were asked. We breezed through the address labels. We sailed through the "what's inside?" questions. We even aced the "when should they get there?" question.

We were out of the store in about 5 minutes.

When we got to the car, Mom asked if we'd gotten it all taken care of, or if we had forgotten something.

This time of year, it can be massively frustrating to be on either side of a customer service counter. I love when I'm in a position to give the right answers, ask the right questions, and still be able to non-sarcastically smile on the way out the door.

Here's hoping that this is the start of an actually festive seasonal trend.

No comments: