Thursday, June 19, 2014

Zer Floot

With all of the rain we've been having in and around Minneapolis, people are beginning to talk about ark building and animal gathering and kayaking down the streets. People have been getting washed away in their cars, roads have been getting washed away... It's kind of insane.

But whenever I hear someone talking about Noah, I tend to think about inappropriate laughter.

I don't remember how many years ago it was. But I was home in South Dakota and the priest at the time was... well... he was not from South Dakota. And his accent was thick. Really thick. Like "ask the phone customer service person if you can speak to someone else" thick.

He was kind of melodious to listen to, but that doesn't mean he was understandable. And, while we could follow along for most of the service and figure out what he was talking about, during the sermon we were on our own. That's when we heard it.

"Zer Floot."

And he didn't just say it once. He said it a few times. And none of us had any idea what he meant. I contemplated all sorts of possibilities, but couldn't come up with anything. Until he said something that sounded like "No-eh."

"No-eh ant Zer Floot."

Of course.

2 comments:

Robin said...

that is wonderful!
Guess I missed that one.

Robin said...

that is wonderful!
Guess I missed that one.