Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Time Lapse

I've mentioned what I did all weekend. It was a project for work that took the entire weekend to do. (I'm happy to say that the person for whom I was doing it was very appreciative.)

Then, on Monday, I had a couple of (much) smaller projects I needed to work on, and so I did those in the evening. Of course, we didn't get around to cleaning the house on the weekend, so that happened on Monday, too.

Last night, my parents flew into town on their way home to South Dakota from Los Angeles. But - as you may have noticed if you live in the States - the spring weather this year is a little weird.

You see, when they came through town on their way to LA a couple weeks ago, my parents were commenting on how much snow there was still on the ground. Then the weather moderated while they were gone and the snow dissipated. By the time I picked them up at the airport last night, we were down to pretty much just brown.

We got up this morning to about an inch of slushy snow, which quickly disappeared from any pavement, but stuck around on the grass. Dad contemplated leaving to drive home, but I convinced him otherwise. You see, it's a 5- or 6-hour drive to my home town, and between here and there there has been freezing rain. Closed roads. Power lines down. No travel advised. The works.

And parts of that are moving this way. We're supposed to have 6 to 10 inches of heavy wet snow by tomorrow night. So they're hanging out with us - probably until Friday mid-morning, when this all wraps up and the road have a chance to clear. (After all, April sun is pretty warm - even after a snowstorm.)

Here's the thing, though. Since I was working all weekend, and a little busy in between, I didn't get a chance to look at Sunday's newspaper until tonight. The weather forecast - just 3 days ago - was for us to be in the upper 40s with rain yesterday through tomorrow. Yes, tonight, we're looking at highs in the low 30s, with snow.

It's amazing how a large lapse in knowledge can be revealed after such a short elapsed time.

No comments: