Monday, March 10, 2014

Bad Quote Quotient - Say It Ain't So

I'm... well... I'm not "in the middle" of the book I'm working on right now, but I'm about 15% of the way through it (it's REALLY long). 

It's taking me a lot of time to get through because of a few things: 1) the author writes in circles; 2) there are a LOT of names and it gets confusing and I have to keep going back to reference people; 3) I spent 3 full days just formatting the chapter headings; and, 4) it's REALLY FREAKIN' LONG. 

And, for the most part, there just haven't been any pieces in it that have offered themselves up as humor. But, today, I came across two things pretty much back-to-back, which both made me chuckle, and which seem to be important things for people to learn: 

a) "a step back" and "a step backwards" do not mean the same thing. So "let's take a step backwards to get a better look at this" isn't really what most people mean. 

b) there is a difference between a "y" and a "w." "Yielding great power" and "wielding great power" do not mean the same thing. 

Putting this all together, we can either "Take a step backwards and look at how it feels to yield great power to someone else," or "Take a step back to see how it feels to wield great power over someone else."

One of the fun things about editing? 

I get to ask the authors to take a step back and yield control over the manuscripts. At least from time to time. 

Whether they realize it or not.

No comments: