Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Dream a Little Dream

I wish that, when I went to bed at night, I could be guaranteed that I could dream a little dream.

Which is not to say that I don't dream. In fact, it's kind of the opposite of that.

You see, when I'm sleeping, assuming that I have any memorable dreams at all, I tend to dream BIG dreams.

Whenever I tell people that, they always assume that I mean that I'm having nightmares. But I don't remember the last time I had an actual nightmare. I mean... I have some dreams where I'm in a strange situation and things are weird in unexpected ways, and I guess some people would probably say those are nightmares, but most of the time I just kind of wake up from those and they fade away and life is good.

Instead, though, I tend to have dreams that seem to go on for hours. They start out as one thing, then morph into something else, and end hours later with me waking up exhausted.

About three nights ago, I woke up with the memory of coloring coloring books and - once they were colored in - the lines were able to be used for a toy train set to drive along.

Seriously. That's what I woke up after. I mean... It was happy, and I woke up happy about it, but that was only the end of the dream and I know that there was a lot that came before it, and I was just pooped when I woke up and wanted a nap.

Two nights ago, there was a whole series of dreams about things like moving into a dorm and having to find the right place to put my clothes and - at some point - I think John Barrowman showed up, actually - there was a great big song and dance event. Not a staged number, but also not a party. Just a big, choreographed - yet totally spontaneous - dance number. With about 20 people. In the dormroom. You know. Like you do.

At which point my alarm went off. And then Christopher (who is almost always up before me during the week) asked me how I was feeling, and I said "exhausted," and he asked if I'd slept okay, and I said "I was having massive dreams again," and he just kind of looked at me and shook his head and I could tell the wheels were spinning debating whether or not to ask me about them. Because, you see, I've been having massive dreams forever, and over time he's gotten kind of used to me saying that.

And I'm not going to lie - I tend to enjoy most of them at this point.

I just sorta wish that I could have a couple of nights where I dreamt that I was having a good night's sleep.

No comments: