Friday, July 12, 2013

The Ombre Hombre

(NOTE: It may help you to enjoy this posting if you know that "ombre," in fabric, is when a color gradually fades from one end of the piece of fabric to the other, like this: 


Okay. Now that that has been covered, we'll move on...)

The attire in my office is... well... casual. 

I don't mean "business casual" - you know, like khakis and polos. 

I don't even mean "casual Friday" casual, where jeans and polos are the norm. 

Nope. Ours is the kind of office where the boss comes in in cargo shorts, a t-shirt with something written on it, and flip-flops. And, you know, since all of the rest of us are allowed to do the same, it's not all bad. 

Today, though, I came walking out of an office and almost ran into one of our IT guys. After which I promptly turned around and walked back into the office so that I wouldn't say anything stupid. I was greeted by one of the office's occupants asking "Anything wrong?"

"No. Well, I just hadn't expected that."

"What?"

"Have you seen what he's wearing?"

"Yeah. I'm not used to seeing guys in tank tops. Especially not at work."

"He wears those all the time," [sidenote: this guy works out a lot, so aside from the workplace thing, the tank top is otherwise not a problem] "but this one is... ombre."

"It's what?" (Okay. Yeah. I realized that I sounded pretty gay knowing that it was ombre - and pronouncing it correctly - but I am who I am.)

"Ombre. It goes from dark green at the top, and then kind of blends with his khaki shorts at the bottom." 

"Oh."

Sometimes I think that, maybe, a dress code couldn't hurt.

No comments: