Saturday, December 27, 2014

Holiday Post "Exchange"

Okay, so I'm not so much exchanging blog posts, as I am stealing one that a friend of mine posted. Why? Because I read it a couple of hours ago, and have been thinking about it ever since, and so I thought I'd see if any of you had any thoughts on it.

The bulk of the blog post in question is truly quite simple.


Who would you be today if you had gotten that long-ago asked-for pony then?


How about it you got that pony today?


How would things change?


It was posted by Miz Tiz over at TiZ and AsS (http://tizandass.blogspot.com/2014/12/on-26th-day-of-tizmas.html).

It's easy, of course, to guess what I might have done if I'd gotten a pony way back when, though in my case it would have been a metaphorical pony. (I never wanted a pony. My closest equivalent was probably wanting a cool car back in high school - instead of having to drive my parents' green 1973 Pontiac Catalina station wagon.)

Even so, I'm thinking of this even more metaphorically. The idea of "what if you got 'the brass ring' way back when?"

What if I'd gotten that perfect job right out of grad school?

What if I'd hit the jackpot the first time (or second time - aka "last" time - even) I was in Las Vegas as an adult?

What if I'd gotten to drive a better car in high school or college?

I really don't know.

I've talked, before, about the fact that there are split points in my life that I really wonder, sometimes, what would have happened if I'd taken a different path. If I'd taken a different job. If I'd move to a different town. If I'd never cut my hair in grad school.

As the old year ends, and the new year begins, this is the kind of thing that I ponder. And I love that I'm apparently not the only one.

So... What about you? What would you have done if you'd gotten that pony way back when? Or two days ago, even?

No comments: