Friday, October 2, 2015

Friday Food - Green Tomatoes

Have I mentioned my tomatoes, lately?

>sigh<

Now that we're dealing with shorter October days, with chilly nights and highs only in the 60s, suddenly I have at least 6 tomatoes on my vines. I actually had to cut the vines back from their 10-foot length to about 4 feet, because the cooler weather had caused them to "sag" across our sidewalk, and in so doing I found out that I have more tomatoes than I thought (I knew I had either 3 or 4).

I'm hoping for one or two of them to actually ripen on the vine. So now I'm in an odd waiting game caused - once again - by the fact that I have no idea if these are the tomatoes that will always stay green, or if they're supposed to be turning color.

Each day I walk past them and give them a squeeze to see if they're ready, then I check the weather and see how cool the night will be. All I know for sure is that I want to leave them out there as long as I can before giving up and bringing them in before they get frostbite.

I'll keep you posted.


No comments: