Friday, August 31, 2018

When GMO goes too far...? (aka "When proofreaders go to the store...)

(Fair warning: No recipe this week. Also no video.)

I'm sure you've all seen the test where you're shown a color word that is actually colored differently than the word's name. It's apparently a test to see whether or not your brain can deal with cognitive dissonance or something like that. (I don't actually know if that's the right term. But it has to do with being able to hold two competing thoughts in your mind at the same time.) Anyway... it's like this:


There's another part of that test where you're asked to say the color of the word, and not simply the word. Which is more difficult to me than trying to hold two competing thoughts at the same time.


I'm not sure what that says about me. (I also don't know that I want to know what that says about me.)

At the same time, however, there's a part of me - the editor/proofreader side - that simply wants to correct these and make them match up. I want the Blue to be blue, and the Yellow to be yellow.

(I'm suddenly wondering what those would be like if you were colorblind - or on a black-and-white screen, for that matter.)

So, that cognitive dissonance is something that I've always found interesting - and it sometimes follows me into the grocery store.

You see foods that are "the wrong color" all the time. Purple potatoes. Yellow tomatoes. Purple carrots. Yellow beets. (Why is it that so many foods alternate between other colors and purple or yellow?)

You also see mini-foods, like personal-sized melons, or overgrown things like giant squash. They've all been modified along the way, and we've gradually accepted them - even if part of our brain thinks "That's not what they were like when I was a kid!"

Well, last week I found something that even I couldn't wrap my head around. I fully admit that it shocked the editor in me - while part of my brain was also thinking "Wait. Is that something new that I don't know about?"

What do you think?


Personally, I think that that is taking genetically modified food just a little too far.

For now, I'll see you in a week!

-----

Do you ever have a point where your job carries over into your life and it makes you wonder what the heck is going on? Does it impact your food choices - or your shopping sanity? Let me know what you've found that has made you go "Hmm...?"

No comments: