Friday, September 6, 2013

Book Baking - Chocolate Chip Cookie Murder

Have I mentioned that I'm in a book club? It's a loosely formed group that a friend of mine started after she gave up on a couple of other groups which other people had organized.

We tend to read some pretty serious stuff. Not like depressing stuff, but dense. We read Casual Vacancy, which is very densely written. (Loved it.) We read A Visit From the Goon Squad, which was dense, but didn't live up to its back cover copy. And I think we've read about 6 other ones since the group started.

This week's book was The Chocolate Chip Cookie Murder by Joanne Fluke. It's a "cozy mystery" - set in a small town with no real edge or scare factor. And, well, there's recipes in it, so we decided to bake cookies from it for our meeting.

It was a nice change of pace from the heavier books, and the cookies weren't too dense, either.

The Chocolate Chip Crunch cookies (baked by the evening's hostess) were really good. I made some "Black and Whites" which were a little weird to make (they "dough" was the consistency of brownie batter), but were really tasty. But since the recipe made about 7 dozen cookies - and since there were only 3 of us at book club - I had some leftovers.

The leftovers went to work with me today. I'm guessing I wasn't the only one who thought they were pretty good, because they were gone before lunch.

My recommendation: find the book at a used book store (or on an eReader) for the recipes. I mean, the book was fine, but it wouldn't have been gone by lunch.

No comments: