Saturday, May 24, 2014

Insta-Gardening

It never ceases to amaze me how much a garden changes when you put flowering plants in in the spring.

In the course of an hour - or four, if you include shopping - our garden beds went from either just dirt (or dirt with greenery in some areas) to full of accent foliage and/or flowers. 

In the past, I've tried planting seeds and working to get them to grow inside, then putting them out in the garden and hoping that, eventually, they would grow and bud and bloom. It was mostly satisfying to see the results, in part because I'd started at the very beginning and the results were all mine to enjoy. 

A couple of years ago, though, I decided that I would give in and just spend the extra money at the garden store. I'm not going to lie - I was immediately hooked. 

I love watching the garden go from empty to blooming in the course of one day. By the time I was done, suddenly there was new color in the yard. Yellow and purple and pink and white flowers are now all visible from the house when you look into the backyard. When you walk out by the garage, you see small white flowers under pepper plants. And the front walk is bracketed by gorgeous purple grass and moss roses. 

Although I might feel bad that I didn't raise any of this stuff from seed, I'm taking credit for all of it since I may have given myself a slight case of heat stroke by doing multiple hours' worth of work in the sun without really having anything to eat or drink during that time. Sure, it wasn't a month of coaxing seedlings to grow, but I've decided to celebrate my not passing out as an achievement all of its own. 

No comments: