Thursday, August 28, 2008

Chasing "Henry Poole"

File under: The best laid plans...

For two weeks now I have been trying to go to see the movie "Henry Poole is Here" with a friend of mine. It's one of those indy-ish films that just looks like it might be a fun evening--not a bad thing to have when you're less-than-employed.

So last Wednesday I got to the theater and the 7:20 showing (which we were meeting at) wasn't listed on the board. I checked with the ticketlady, and she said that they were showing a sneak preview of "Elegy," instead. She even offered me tickets to Elegy, but I really was in the mood for Henry Poole, and Elegy... well... with a name like that it just seems like it might be a little more serious than I was looking for. We ended up going to another movie theater and seeing "Vicky Christina Barcelona," instead.

Yesterday, I was smarter and did a last-minute check on the movie times. But--you guessed it--now Henry Poole has been completely replaced by Elegy. So I called my movie companion and we opted to still meet at the same theater, but to go to "Bottle Shock." We're going to try to see Henry Poole next week at another near-ish theater--assuming it's still playing after the Labor Day weekend.

Oh. In case you're wondering what I thought of the other movies...

Vicky Christina Barcelona - It's a Woody Allen film, so there's a lot of talking. But the cast is very strong (Javier Bardem is incredibly sexy and Penelope Cruz is... well... she plays manic really well), and the settings are gorgeous. I wasn't sure whether I was enjoying it, but at the end Kelly and I looked at each other and agreed that we could have watched more to see what happened next. That's a good thing.

Bottle Shock - If you've seen the trailers then you know that it's--in essence--about a 1976 wine competition between the French and the Californians. It has a good cast, and the story is interesting, and I really wanted to like it. But... well... I probably should have waited until it was on DVD and had a glass or two of wine with it.
**sidenote** Have I mentioned that I really like watching TV? Two of my main reasons for going to the movie are connected to TV. Eliza Dushku (Faith on Buffy) and Mary Pat Gleason (Ida on The Middleman) are both in it in small-ish, yet important roles. **end sidenote**

Wish me luck on catching Henry Poole next week...

No comments: