Saturday, August 30, 2008

Kicking John Barrowman Out of Bed

File under: A little knowledge is a dangerous thing...

Last night (I'm a bachelor this weekend, remember), I went to bed with John Barrowman, and ended up kicking him out of bed. *sigh* I couldn't even type that with a straight face. After all, anyone who knows me knows that I certainly wouldn't kick him (and/or his husband) out of bed--even if they were eating crackers.

Back in the realm of reality, last night I finished reading John Barrowman's autobiography "Anything Goes." It was an imported birthday present from my partner this past May. And, in fact, he gave it to me 3 weeks prior to my birthday on the day I lost my job, since he thought (correctly) that it would be a bright spot in an otherwise pretty crappy day. No. It didn't take me almost 4 months to read it--I had a couple of other books on my list before it, so I started it just a little while ago, reading a chapter every night or so before bed. (And occasionally lingering over the pictures, I admit.)

If you don't know who John Barrowman is, I strongly suggest you start learning. He's a Scottish-American actor, singer, dancer, TV host, gay activist, husband (who got married to Scott Gill while looking hot in a kilt), cocker spaniel lover, and--yes--author, who just happens to also be cute and sexy with a variable accent and a wicked sense of humor. I first came across him (but didn't realize it) when watching the Cole Porter biopic De-Lovely (he sings the incredibly romantic "Night and Day" duet with Kevin Kline). But he's basically my age, so he's been doing musical theater and entertaining since we were high school age. (And he's one of those people who make me glad I did NOT try to pursue a career in theater! I so could not have competed!) Most recently, Barrowman is Captain Jack on the BBC series Torchwood and its "parent" (what do you call the show something spins-off from?) Dr. Who--where he gets to be smart and sexy and sassy and everything that makes him great fun to lust after.

But... to Barrowman's autobiography... I realized not too far into it that I don't know that I could work with him. He's proud of being a prankster and a bit of a trouble-maker when he's working. He's a daredevil, as well as someone who enjoys making fun of himself. And I have always been way too serious and conservative for that kind of thing. I never enjoyed the off-stage antics when I was in theater. And I've never been a brash adventure seeker. But he's also a proud man--proud of his family and friends, proud of his heritage, proud of what he has done with his life--who still remembers to be thankful for all he has. (Or at least comes across that way when he's writing about himself!)

My partner kept asking me whether I was enjoying reading "Anything Goes" and I kept having to say "yes and no," because I loved reading it--the prose was incredibly enjoyable--but I found that it was killing a few of my fantasies about the onscreen John Barrowman. Not to mention the fact that I was sitting at home, unemployed, reading about this virtual peer of mine who has such a completely different life. (Oh. And his use of the good British word "sweeties" when referring to "candy" really started to get to me, but that's a whole different discussion which makes me wonder if an American version of the book is in the works for people who don't want to deal with English to English translations.) 

So last night I came to the very well-written final lines of this book with probably a better understanding of John Barrowman, a little better understanding of myself, and a continued desire to have the Barrowman-Gills over to dinner with my partner and me the next time they happen to be in Minnesota. I'm weird that way.

2 comments:

Laura said...

Holy cow I had no idea he could sing. And yeah I think he's hot too. We're big Torchwood fans.

Robert said...

You've GOT to hear John Barrowman! He's got multiple CDs out. (I prefer his Broadway stuff, but his pop is great, too.)