Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Travel Tuesday - Snow Commute Style

There is this very strange phenomenon that happens during inclement weather and rush hours. We've all experienced it. (Well, all of us who live in areas with rush hours, at least - which I can say because my home town's only rush hours are just after school gets out, and just after a sporting event lets out.)

Anyway...

Whether there's rain, or snow, or scary fog, or a dog on the sidewalk shaking too hard, rush hour traffic somehow gets very distracted and scared and decides that driving zero miles per hour is the best plan of action. Unless you're in an overly large vehicle (like an Xterra, or a mass transit bus), in which case it's best to drive quickly enough just as the traffic light changes so that you can be stuck in the middle of the intersection and perfectly block cross traffic for the entire cycle of the light.

But at least in some ways that's all okay. Because the weather is wet, or foggy, or that dog is shaking on the sidewalk, and so you have reason to be confused.

Of course, the day AFTER a weather- (or dog-) related rush hour is usually pretty much back to normal. After all, there's nothing to keep you from doing your regular drive on those days, right?

Then why did it take me an hour and forty-five minutes to get home on Monday night?

It's not like we had any new snow coming down. The 17" that were on the ground were already down and settled. The 'dome had already collapsed. Day 3 of the Snow Emergency parking was already well underway. And, yet, it took me a full hour just to get out of downtown.

People were driving either like maniacs or like... well... people who don't know how to drive. I could have walked through downtown faster than I was able to drive. No. Really. People walked past me while I was "driving."

But that was Monday night - the first big commute after the weekend storm. So tonight was fine, right?

Right. If you consider taking an hour and five minutes to do a thirty-five minute commute fine. As you can guess, I have NO idea what took so long, tonight. The roads were dry - or at least as dry as we're going to see them in the next 4 months - and there was no precipitation. I didn't even see any shaking dogs.

The only thing I saw was an hour of my life slipping away.

No comments: