Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Changing It Up

Birthdays are strange things. They really don't change anything, and yet we mark them each year.

Christopher's birthday is today. He's going from a young'un in his 30s, to... well... a young'un at age 40.

That's the kind of silliness that birthdays make us all look at. I mean... He's still the same number of years younger than me. He's still the same person. But the change from 30s to 40 can be a big deal.

For my 40th, we actually ran away to France and England. It was great. And it was, in large part, great because we were celebrating places I'd been, but also looking ahead to where we wanted to go in the future.

I think that's probably the best way to look at birthdays - with both a backward glance and a forward eye.

Granted, even so, it's easier to say that when the birthday being celebrated is someone else's, and my own is still 4 months away. After all, I said I like the idea - I didn't say I was always great at following through.

No comments: