Saturday, June 21, 2014

Solstice Sleep

The longest day of the year is kind of cool. In theory.

There is something exciting about the sun being up for so long, for night being driven out, and - in places like Minneapolis this year - it was glorious to have sunshine for the entire day.

Unfortunately, for those of us with pets who feel that getting up at 5:30 in the morning is a duty, it also means that the sunniest day of the year becomes the longest day of staying awake.

I tried to nap this afternoon. I went to bed and read for a bit, then set my alarm and tried to sleep. And I think I did drift off for about an hour. Though that didn't really make up for having gotten up between 5:30 and 6.

And, since it's light so late, today, it kind of feels like - although it's nearly 10 - it's actually only 8. My body is telling me it's time to go to bed. My mind is telling me it's way too early. Hopefully, if my body goes to bed, my mind will eventually follow.

1 comment:

Dragonfly said...

I was up late yesterday too .... managed to get home before midnight but did not go to sleep right away. Now today will be shorter than yesterday. Maybe we will sleep better tonight!