Sunday, October 26, 2014

Is It Over, Yet?

I realize that there are any number of people who may hate me for the opinion I'm about to state in this post. I get that feedback every time I give my honest answer in conversations. I've mostly gotten used to it.

In fact, I think that the people who might bug me even more are the ones who don't ask, but simply assume that I love it. Because - according to that group - everyone loves it.

What am I talking about?

Halloween.

I really really dislike Halloween. For some aspects of it, I'd even say that "hate" is a good descriptor.

I don't know that I really know when that started. I usually point to the fact that I remember having to trick-or-treat with a parka over my costume a number of years. I just never got to really enjoy the costumes and everything. So, while I do rather enjoy people handing out free candy, most of the rest of it I can do without.

Even more, though, I'm just not a fan of gory horror stuff. And, lately, everything has gone to the blood-and-gore angle. There are houses on our street with little kids living in them which have cute little ghosts and pumpkin cutouts in the windows. And then there are the houses with gravestones and coffins and bloody skulls. When did those start to become the norm?

When I walk the dog these days, I try to avoid the houses with the most gruesome yards, in part because I don't want her to get tangled in all the weird displays. But also because I really don't care to see it.

The past week or so, I've simply gone for my walk and checked the calendar. At this point, we have about 11 more walks to do before this stuff should be going away, to be replaced by Christmas flotsam.

I'm not a huge fan of some of the massive Christmas displays, either, but I'd much rather have the illuminated, inflatable snowman that keeps getting blown over across the street. At least he doesn't stain the snow red with his blood.

No comments: