Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Weathering the TV Season (with Blossom and the Mystery Girls)

I admit it. I'm a little bit stuck in retro TV these days.

Over the past couple of weeks, since they started re-airing Blossom, I've watched multiple episodes.

Yes, many of them were last Friday when they were doing a reunion marathon with the actors who played Blossom, Six, Joey, and Anthony all back and chatting at the commercial breaks.

But I was still watching the episodes - and enjoying them for the most part. Heck, I even remembered some of them.

I've also been watching the new show Mystery Girls on ABC Family. It's an incredibly campy sitcom where two former stars of a TV crime show team up to open a real detective agency.

Why am I watching it if that is the best description I can come up with? Because it stars Jennie Garth and Tori Spelling (you know, from Beverly Hills, 90210). I've seen them each in other things, and they each have great comic timing. And they have such a deep history together that there are bound to be lots of in jokes and guest cameos.

Of course, I'm also watching a lot of other things. And the new Garfunkel & Oates comedy series coming to IFC later this year is already on my radar, but with all the weird news in the world - and frequent office stress at work - there's something nice about revisiting people you already know.

It's like eating ice cream on a thunderstorm-y night. It won't change the storm, but it sure makes weathering it more fun.

No comments: