Monday, September 8, 2014

When Helpful Isn't, Part Two

I was trying to look up the hours of a business, today. I tossed the business name and general address (city at least) into Google and it popped up a list of possible locations.

So far, so good.

I clicked on the location I wanted more information on, and it took me to...

The company's main site.

Even though the information that I clicked on was for a specific store (it listed the phone number, just not the hours), the click-through went to the main page and I had to enter in the information all over again.

I have no idea if this is a problem with my search engine (did it show information it didn't really have?), or with the company (does it force every searcher to go to the main page?), but it was annoying, either way.

It was your basic "not helpful helpful" piece of information.

I'm happy to say that I did, eventually, find the information I needed. But I'm still kind of oddly frustrated by the number of clicks it took to get there. Which I guess is a little contradictory - the fact that I don't really love technology, but I also wish it would work better.

Oh, well. That's a story for another time - possibly told in person, as opposed to over the electronic medium that is the Internet.

No comments: