Saturday, November 22, 2008

Friday Food

I started this post yesterday, but somehow it got saved instead of published. (Maybe I should pay more attention to which of the little buttons I push?) Sorry for the delay.

Christopher and I are having a food-filled latter portion of the week. Last night (Thursday) we went out with a couple of my cousins to a pizza place called Jakeeno's in Minneapolis. There was a joke in the midst of our emails about the place that it "sounded exotic" and we made sure to quash that right away so as to not get anyone's hopes up. That said, however, the place does really good pizza. We had the garlic cheese toast and then a large pepperoni pizza and life was good for the four of us. Of course, the four of us being the four of us we talked enough that that amount of food took us 2 hours to get through, which made the evening that much better.

Tonight (Friday) we played host to a couple of friends at our place. It took us a while to figure out what to make, since we've never had them over to dinner before. Finally Christopher offered to make his spicy lemon chicken with rice as the main course. To carry through on the very generalized Asian food theme, I picked up one of the new Distinctively Dole Asian Island Crunch salads. Dessert, unfortunately, broke the theme to smithereens as we did homemade brownies (from the 1950 Betty Crocker cookbook--they have more sugar than flour!) and vanilla ice cream. The evening was really good. We sat around the table for probably 3 hours over dinner and dessert just talking and enjoying the company. 

** sidenote ** I looked on the Betty Crocker website for the brownie recipe I use so that I could link to it, but out of literally hundreds of brownie recipes, they only have 9 which are homemade (instead of simply doctoring a box mix), and the one I used isn't there. If you'd like the recipe, let me know and I can post it later. ** end sidenote **

As I mentioned, the whole end of the week is going to be food-filled. Tomorrow night (Saturday) we're heading out to Stillwater to celebrate Christopher's mom's birthday at a Mexican restaurant called Acapulco. Sunday we have breakfast plans with friends out at a place called The Bad Waitress. And Sunday night we're going to a friend's house to sit in front of her fire, watch a movie and order in food (probably pizza, again, which is perfectly fine by me!).

Oh. And I should also say that Christopher is planning to make not one, but two, Red Velvet Cakes tomorrow morning/afternoon. Yes, it's officially so that he can take a birthday cake out to Stillwater for his mom, but he's also comparing a couple of different recipes and trying to find out which one works better. 

** sidenote ** If you've never had Red Velvet Cake, you should know a few things: 1) it's basically a chocolate cake with food coloring; 2) it takes TWO FULL BOTTLES of red food coloring to color a single cake; 3) yes, in "Steel Magnolias" the armadillo groom's cake was red velvet. ** end sidenote **

Like I said... It's going to be a week/end of food!

No comments: