Wednesday, November 26, 2008

T (day) Minus One...

I must admit that for a short time this morning I thought I had written a self-fulfilling-prophecy-style jinx, yesterday. You see, the Thanksgiving dinner I am attending tomorrow does not have pumpkin pie on the menu. (I know... heathens, right!?) But since I'm not on the list for bringing dessert, and since I already know that there are going to be at least 3 pies offered, I couldn't exactly show up with a pumpkin pie of my own. 

Thus, I have decided that I am going to bake a pumpkin pie on Friday. Of course, since I always have canned pumpkin in the house, I didn't worry about that when I went grocery shopping yesterday. 

Yep... You know where this is going...

This morning, I checked the pantry shelves only to find that I did NOT have any canned pumpkin on hand. At all. None. Not even one of the smaller cans, which I could have worked with to make a smaller pie. Which made it seem that a grocery store trip was looming large on my horizon. 

Luckily, I also had an inspiration for a Christmas gift last night, which I figured I could go purchase at Target. Since Target (and all places retail) will be madhouses on Friday, I thought today would be a safe bet. And, since most of the Target stores in this area are SuperTargets, I figured I was good to go.

** sidenote ** For those of you who don't have SuperTargets in your area, these massive stores have a full-sized Target in 2/3 of their space, as well as a fairly good-sized Target-branded grocery store filling up the other 1/3 of the space. There's lots of Target's Archer Farms- and Market Pantry-branded food products, but also full dairy, meat and produce sections. I do a lot of shopping at SuperTarget because they're priced competitively and easy to get to, but for my "serious" groceries I still go to a regular grocery store. ** end sidenote **

I got to SuperTarget at about 1pm and sailed through the store. Of course there was a full display of "things you might need for Thanksgiving dinner" right near the door, so I was able to pick up my cans of pumpkin (yes, Libby--they're "Libby's") on my way in and completely dodged the rest of the grocery section. 

Much to my surprise (and delight), I was out the door within 15 minutes, and only bought what I needed. And, really, when is the last time that happened to you at Target!?

So I think that's going to be item number one on my "This year, I'm thankful for..." list if anyone asks tomorrow.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Yay!! It has to be Libby's... :-)