Sunday, November 2, 2008

Falling Back... Saturday's Post on Sunday Morning

Having worked at The Minnesota Opera for a while, and then leaving that company when my position was "reorganized" last summer, it should come as no surprise that going to see "Abduction from the Seraglio" at the Opera last night was a little strange. Let me break this out in two sections: The show, and the "Show."

The show:

The show was fine. Although I worked in marketing for the Opera while I was there--writing copy for all sorts of mailings (print and otherwise) promoting the shows--I've never really been a huge opera fan. I've got to admit that I'm glad "Abduction from the Seraglio" wasn't my first introduction. It's a Mozart comedy (while this does mean it's funny, in opera terms "comedy" really just means that there's not a lot of death) about two women who have to get broken out of a harem by their true loves. In the production playing in St. Paul right now, the conceit has this all taking place in lavishly-decorated cars on The Orient Express. The set (complete with scenery moving by outside the windows) and costumes were lush. The act-closing quartets were quite enjoyable. But I have to admit that if this had been my first opera I probably would have left after the really bland first act. Luckily, Blonde (the maid) and Pedrillo (her intended) got to sing more after the first intermission, and combined with some great comic slapstick, they took me along for the rest of the ride. 

The "Show"

I fully admit that I was a little nervous about going back to the place that let me go 6 months ago. But it turned out great. I got big hugs from people I haven't seen (although I've talked to/emailed/etc) since I left the Opera. Just as good, since Christopher is young enough to be part of the Opera's "young professionals" group, Tempo (I aged out if it last year, already), we are able to get tickets for cheap after buying a membership. So we got to go to the post-show meet-and-greet at the St. Paul Hotel. The food was great. The drinks weren't too expensive. And the mingling was nice. 

So... yeah... it was a nice evening. Would I say it was a spectacular evening? No. Unfortunately "Abduction" didn't hold up its end of the bargain for that. But the rest of the evening was great.

** sidenote ** If you happen to be in the Twin Cities, The Minnesota Opera has a phenomenal discount deal for next Tuesday for "Abduction." If you're looking for a good way to get away from the hour-upon-hour of voting predictions, I would definitely check it out. Just settle in for the first act and know that it keeps getting better. (And hope that Tuesday does, too.) ** end sidenote **

No comments: