Friday, November 28, 2008

The Morning After - Thankfully

I hope you all had a very nice Thanksgiving, yesterday. 

I must say that Christopher and I enjoyed a very pleasant afternoon at his parents' home out in Stillwater. The food was great. The dogs behaved. And we even had an incident-free game of "Apples to Apples" (it's not the most dangerously-competitive game, but can result in some eyebrow raising discussions of politics, ethics, and overall sanity). Yes, I'd have to say that it was a very nice afternoon.

The drive out to Stillwater was a little interesting--we got run halfway off the road by a black Audi Q7 (an SUV-ish thing) with a Minnesota license plate starting with SHG. Luckily my trusty Subaru has All-wheel drive and anti-lock brakes, so as the Audi came sailing from the on-ramp into the far left lane at about 80 miles per hour, I was able to keep control as I felt the left-hand side of the car drop off pavement into the median. It was loud enough (my laying on the car horn might have contributed to the noise) and rough enough to wake up Christopher (who was napping with his iPod on). When I finally got the chance to pull up alongside the Q7, I wasn't surprised to see that the driver was leaning on the middle console chatting away on his phone. I fully suspect that, had we gone completely off the road (or worse) he wouldn't have noticed. Bleh. But, by the time we got to Stillwater, my heartrate had had 15 minutes to return to normal, so we were good to go.

The only problem I'm finding is that I didn't steal away with enough leftovers to make a proper turkey-and-dressing sandwich for lunch. Luckily, I have my canned pumpkin at the ready and will have a whole pumpkin pie to dive into by around lunchtime. And THAT is something to be thankful for! ;-)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Eeek! Glad you guys are okay...