Saturday, November 29, 2008

Pumpkin Pie Bliss

I admit it. I made the aforementioned pie yesterday in the late morning, and it's already almost half gone. This wouldn't be so bad if Christopher liked pumpkin pie, but I'm the only one in the house eating it.

It's such a great pumpkin pie recipe, though. I use the recipe out of "The Joy Of Cooking" -- although I'm not sure if it's the same recipe that's in it these days, since my cookbook is a good 20 years old. What amazes me most is that it's such a simple pie to make. There's no fussing with peeling and chopping or pitting and stem-pulling. There's no thousand-and-one ingredients. There's not even a top crust! It's just a non-nonsense pie.

I've made it for people who say they don't like pumpkin pie, and they've had to agree that this recipe is a good one. I think it's because, along with the pumpkin, evaporated milk, sugar (brown and white) and eggs, there is a whole blend of spices going on. There's a full teaspoon of cinnamon, and then a half of ginger, a quarter of nutmeg and an eighth of cloves. All of which yields a rich flavor which doesn't overpower, and yet makes itself known.

The house smelled amazing for most of the afternoon -- long after it was out of the oven. And I was in heaven this morning when piece number 3 became breakfast. (To Christopher's mild dismay.)

Oh... In case you're wondering, I did make enough piedough for a second crust, so Christopher and I decided to do a quiche for dinner. No ham in the fridge, though, so we started searching for a substitute. We ended up with a pepperoni and swiss quiche, which I sprinkled with oregano and red pepper. It was surprisingly good, actually.

Of course, there's still pie sitting in the kitchen. Is 3 o'clock too late for lunch? And if we don't have dinner until 7, is this early enough that it won't spoil my appetite? I may have to chance it...

No comments: