Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Solstice Butt-Kicking

Unfortunately, I haven't been kicking the Solstice's butt for the past few days, it seems that these longest days of the year have been kicking mine. That certainly sounds better than blaming my sleep issues on the miniature schnauzer who was here last weekend, doesn't it?

You see, ever since last week, I've been having conversations with people about how long the days have been. And, well, that means they've been very long in the evening, as well as very long in the morning. Somehow, that seems to be mucking up my sleep patterns. I've been both staying awake later, and waking up earlier.

For instance: Last night, after we got back from a rousing round of "Pub Trivia" at Hell's Kitchen in Minneapolis (Every Monday promptly at 7pm in their "Far Side" bar -- you should come!), I was up until almost midnight. This morning, I woke up as Christopher was getting ready for work (at about 6:30), and wasn't able to get back to sleep (my alarm doesn't go off until 7:00, and I usually get up after two or three "snoozes").

Which is not to say that I haven't had a productive day. I spent the morning arranging for a "Drain Guy" (different than a plumber, apparently) to come and look at our bathroom sink tomorrow morning, watered the lawn, ran a few errands (including a hardware store, a grocery store, and a Target), and still was home by just after noon. Which meant that I could do some baking (Why do I always seem to end up baking on days when it is over 90 degrees?), clean the house (before we head to a family reunion this weekend), and... in a couple of hours... I'll be off to this week's movie with Kelly.

Hmmm... Maybe it's not such a bad thing that I got up so early today. Maybe the Solstice isn't kicking my butt in a bad way, but, rather, in a "get moving" kind of way. Maybe I should make this my normal routine and see how much more I can get accomplished. Or maybe, just maybe, I should go have a nap and hope that this feeling goes away.

No comments: