Monday, June 15, 2009

Were You Ready on June 12th?

I hope that all of you were ready for the broadcast TV changeover from analog signals to digital. Not that I have any idea what the change really entailed, except that something is now different in how broadcasts happen. Possibly kinda like the difference between Morse code and a telephone. Or something like that.

(No. Please don't try to explain it to me. Much to Christopher's dismay, I really don't care what most of that tech stuff is, either.)

Since we're a cable-connected household, we didn't have to do anything. We were fine. Some of our channels are incredibly clear, now. We spent three hours last night watching competitions on the Food Channel, and I know I should say that it was as if they were cooking in our living room but... well... it was simply like watching TV a week earlier.

Wait. That's not quite true.

You see, a friend of Christopher's who just happens to be a professional chef was here with us. So watching food competitions was nothing like it normally is. Instead, we were talking through most of the shows, discussing recipes for how each of us might have done them, and voicing our votes for who should win and/or lose. It was, as the DTV folks have promised, more like the competition was taking place in our living room. But that was entirely due to the company, and not the digitization of the broadcast signal. (Sorry, DTV folks.)

I guess that says something about my views on TV, or movies, or life in general: It's almost always more fun when you share it with someone else.

Oh. Wait. There is one the thing I want someone to explain to me: Since the DTV transition a few of our local broadcast channels are now completely fuzzy/snowy. What's up with that?

No comments: