Sunday, June 14, 2009

Post Number 200! That's Better Than A Frozen Fish Fight!

I had planned to write a nice little posting about the weekend, but then I noticed that this is going to be my 200th post! Wow.

To celebrate, I offer you some of my favorite moments from the past 10 months:

1) We've spent time getting to know John Barrowman (first in a post entitled Kicking John Barrowman out of Bed). I think I still owe you a post about him in a DVD production of "Putting It Together."

2) I survived being Historically Adjacent to the RNC in St. Paul, as well as dealing with the thrills and chills of installing a new garage door.

3) I've reviewed movies and shows and operas and restaurants.

4) You've hung out with me while I dealt with technology, you survived me coining the term Ponderances, and you haven't given up on me during the frustrations of my unemployment.

At the same time, I realize there are still some explanations and descriptions I owe you. In an attempt to clear up one of the things which I've been informed is a little odd, I offer you this new explanation...

You may have noticed that one of my post "labels" is "Better than a frozen fish fight." Here's what it refers to:

When I was in high school, the full student body would be gathered in the gymnasium for movies before the holidays. There would be pop and popcorn, and sometimes a short cartoon, and then a movie. But the movies had to be age appropriate (from at least 7th grade to 12th grade), and couldn't offend anyone on any level. Of course, this was the early 1980s, so people weren't as worried about this as they are today, but since this was a school-sponsored event, they were pretty careful.

One Christmas, the movie we were watching was some really bad action flick. Honestly, I haven't got a clue what it was about. I do know that, in comparison, watching "The Computer Wore Tennis Shoes" or "The Absent-minded Professor" in grade school was high class theater. Anyway... In the midst of this action movie, there was a huge fight scene where the guys were fighting onboard a freighter, where the available weaponry were, in fact, lots of frozen fish.

It was hilarious. Big strong guys whacking each other upside the head with mackerel. Dueling with swordfish. Beating each other with tuna. Flinging sardines. (Okay. I have no idea whether any of this happened in the movie. Except for the dueling swordfish. I remember that quite vividly.)

Suddenly, although the movie was really really bad, everyone in the gymnasium was laughing and enjoying the frozen fish fight. And, all these years later, I still remember it. So... If something is "Better than a Frozen Fish Fight" it is something fun, unexpected, interesting, and/or startlingly enjoyable.

And there you have it. Yet another clue into the strange and mysterious land of my brain. My own personal blogosphere.

Happy 200th posting! I hope you've been enjoying this rather odd ride which is, frequently, my life. And I hope we all enjoy at least 200 more.

No comments: