Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Mid-day Getaway

As I was walking across the street to take some mail out to the mailbox, today (yes, it's part of my job -- which is why I may have mentioned it, before), the rain had lightened up a little and there was something in the air. I took a deep breath and it smelled like... well... It smelled a little like Paris.

I don't know what it is about days like today. For some reason, on days when it is damp and grey and chilly (or at least damp and grey), and not all that nice to be outside, I occasionally catch the scent of something that reminds me of my year in Paris.

Maybe it's because that was the first year I lived in a city, and so the smell of wet pavement and the chilly air reminds me of winter, there. But it must be something more than that, because it doesn't happen every day.

When it does, though, it's amazing. For those few seconds I'm transported. And I can daydream about it for the rest of the afternoon if I work it right.

Hmmm... I think it's a good thing that Christopher and I are going away for a little while in the middle of the month. Don't you?

No comments: