Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Don't Worry. I'm Okay. (?)

Remember how, when I took my car into the shop, they said that they were pretty sure that they figured out what was wrong and fixed that, even though they weren't 100% sure? Well, imagine that same basic story, but today put me into the role of the car.

After having a strange evening, yesterday, wondering what the kind of random ache near my belly button was, I went to work this morning and had some strange other achy feeling in the same area. Of course, being someone who works in front of a computer all day, I did some Googling and found two top possibilities for what pain near the belly button could be connected to: hernia or appendicitis. But, as with pretty much all online self-diagnosis, I figured I'd just take it all with a grain of salt and get back to work.

On the other hand, when I felt myself get a little flushed late in the morning, I decided that maybe it was time to see what my insurance is actually good for. (In case you don't know this, fever is frequently a direct result of the body trying to fight off an infection. You know, like a sinus infection, or an inflamed appendix...)

I made my excuses to leave work, then called my folks. Dad (have I mentioned that he's a pharmacist?) suggested an ulcer as another possibility. Definitely not the worst of the options, but still not fun. With Christopher's help, as well as a couple of mis-steps at hospitals whose Urgent Care departments are only open in the evening and overnight, I eventually found myself settled in at an Urgent Care that Christopher has gone to.

An hour or so later, I was being poked and prodded and probed by a very congenial doctor as he asked a bunch of questions. Basically, we spent our 10 minutes together taking things off of the list of possibilities. But, in the end, we never put anything into the definite column except the fact that we're 95% sure that I do still have an appendix (I honestly wasn't sure... long story).

So now I'm at home. With Christopher's insistence, I'm drinking lots of clear fluids and trying to rest. (Okay, so I cleared the sidewalks, again, after I got home today, but it was light, at least.) And I apparently did the absolutely wrong thing by eating popcorn for dinner (while trying to avoid anything "bad" in the kitchen, I thought it would be good to eat a dry, innocuous food... my dad has since informed me otherwise).

The doctor sent me home after suggesting that I just monitor my health for the next 48 hours or so. If it doesn't get worse, we're probably okay. If it doesn't get better, we'll have to re-assess. Oh. And if I find myself doubled over in pain and sweating profusely, he suggested that I go the Emergency Room. But... yeah... I think I had that one figured out on my own.

No comments: