Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Working for the Weekend

Okay, I'm going to tell you something, but you have to promise not to tell anyone else: I'm blogging from work.

Right now, it's the middle of the afternoon on Wednesday (December 23rd).

We've had our staff "Holiday party" (with delivered lunch from a local sub/pizza place). We've done the obligatory White Elephant Gift Exchange (with requisite shouting and "stealing" of gifts). And -- more importantly -- for the first time all week my inbox is actually pretty steadily slow. So, well, I'm caught up with work and have to kill a couple more hours.

On the plus side, it's nice to not be crazy busy before a long weekend. On the minus side, it's really really hard to be here with nothing to do when I could be home listening to Christmas music or watching a movie or sleeping.

And, yes, I admit that I'm really lucky that we're not open tomorrow through Sunday. That's really a nice feeling. I'm used to having to work right up until the end of Christmas Eve (lots of years in various forms of retail and customer service), so having the full day off on Christmas Eve is going to seem peaceful and calm.

I was in one of the malls last night, though (I met up with Kelly for a movie, but we ended up having dinner, instead), and was actually a little surprised at how busy it was. Especially since shopping last Sunday was pretty easy (except at Target where the parking lot was packed -- but I was shopping for groceries, and no one was in that section of the store). It's kind of fun to be done with everything and able to just stroll through while other people are having fits.

I guess this is the same reason why my folks say they like coming to visit for a couple of days before flying out to LA for Christmas. They say they like being all done with the pre-holiday chaos and having some time to just do nothing before the festivities start. That's how I'm looking at tonight and tomorrow. Christopher and I will probably have a quiet dinner tonight, and get up late tomorrow and just lounge about before heading out to his folks' in the afternoon.

But, that's tomorrow. For now, I've still got a couple of hours to go to get to that relaxation.

Here's hoping you're all about to that peaceful part of Christmastime, too.

1 comment:

Najla said...

Robert. I'll tell you a secret if you promise not to tell anyone....

I blogged from work today TOO!

Happy Holidays!
n :)