Monday, December 21, 2009

Predictably Unpredictable

I've just finished watching the "early" evening news's weather. And -- no surprise to me -- the forecast for the coming week is just as vague as it was this morning.

I've talked with friends of mine about this situation plenty in the past. We joke about how it must be nice to work in a job where you can be mostly wrong about half the time and not lose your job. I mean... really... imagine if you were wrong that often in your own job. Would you still have a job?

That's probably part of why the forecast for this week lists a possibility of anywhere between 2 and 12 inches of snow. I guess that's one way to hedge your bets, isn't it? That's an awfully wide swath to aim for. Kind of like betting your favorite horse will run somewhere between 1st and 10th in a race that has 10 horses.

So, Christopher and I are taking the week as it comes at us. We're hoping for the best and starting to figure out how to prepare for the worst. I guess we're really lucky that our plans only include a one-hour car-ride. No planes. No day-long drives.

We'll be thinking of everyone we know who is out driving in all of it. Wishing them the best. And hoping that the forecasters who are calling for chaos are all wrong. Again.

No comments: