Thursday, June 16, 2011

Egg and Tomato Sandwiches

(Okay, so "Friday Food" came a little early this week...)

I have to admit that "un sandwich oeufs-tomate" sounds better than "an egg and tomato sandwich." But, having had that sandwich up in Saint Sauveur, I have been thinking about it ever since.

I bought a tomato earlier this week, fully intending to slice it and put it into a turkey sandwich to take to work with me. But I opted for just plain turkey, instead, so the tomato was still on the counter today when I got home from work.

Since we always have eggs in the house (because I bake a lot, which you probably know by now), I decided it was time to try making an egg and tomato sandwich on my own. In a couple of months I hope to be able to do this with home-grown tomatoes (possibly of varied colors, assuming they all continue to grow and don't get eaten by critters), but for now it was a large Roma tomato.

I toasted up the white sandwich bread, fried the eggs "over hard," sliced my tomato and layered it all with a little Mayo (I'm trying the Kraft mayo that has Olive Oil in it - not that you can really tell any difference).

I kind of wish I had taken a picture, because it was just so good. On the plus side, having been successful tonight (I even flipped the eggs without them tearing!), I suspect there will be more of these in my future.

No comments: