Thursday, December 27, 2012

When Snow Becomes Winter

I guess it's all part of the "Expectations versus Reality" dilemma, where what you were hoping for and what you get never quite match up. Sometimes it's better than you'd hoped. Sometimes it's worse than you'd hoped. But reality is almost never exactly what you were expecting.

That's kind of what it's like for me when I realize that it's still winter, even after Christmas is over.

I mean... I know that Christmas is really very early in the season. After all, in Minneapolis, the "snow season" can easily start in October and run until April. So December is really only about 1/3 of the way into that. And, of course, according to the calendar, winter only starts 4 days before Christmas, so no matter how you look at it, there are at least 3 good months of winter that follow the big holiday.

But aside from having a white Christmas, I have to admit that I really don't care for snow and cold. That's not to say that I loved last year's weather when we had basically no snow and the weather went from frigid to warm in a heartbeat. And, yes, I'll admit that if it's going to be frigid, I'd rather have a frigid, sunny, snow-covered January than a frigid, gloomy, grey January.

Still, while I was out walking the dog this evening it dawned on me that for the next three months (give or take) I'll be wearing heavy clothes and worrying about driving conditions. And, honestly, that made me start thinking about moving south. Not sure where, just south.

I suspect it's going to be a long, daydream-filled winter.

No comments: