Saturday, January 25, 2014

Bad Quote Quotient - Forgive Me

There are some times when you're working on a book and you think "In any other context, this would be fine, but..."

I started proofreading one of those this week. 

You see, it's a book all about forgiveness. Bible-based forgiveness. Lots of scripture quoting. Lots of capitalized pronouns (He, Him, His, etc.). Lots of prayerfulness.

And, throughout the book, there are tips and prayers offered. Unfortunately, I'm currently at the beginning of the book. I haven't read through enough of it to see how these all work together to make a whole. Based on what I've read so far, I suspect that this is fairly well thought out. Fairly well organized. Fairly innocuous. 

But before I can get to any of that, I had to get through the table of contents, which lists the following topics. Of course, I was scanning through as I was proofreading, so I kind of read them all as one long sentence. Which probably makes it worse.

Please note: I swear that I did not make any of this up. I did not alter any of them or rearrange them for effect. This is, truly, one section of the tips in the ToC: 

Forgiveness Can’t Be Forced
Making Sex Versus Making Love
Small Groups Grow Disciples
The Largest Sex Organ in the Body
No Pain, No Gain—Going Deep in the Healing Process

So... umm... yeah... there's that. 

The worst part? I'm proofreading, not editing, so I can't make big changes and tell him to rename things or re-order them. God forgive me.

No comments: