Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Starting 2014 "An-old"

I know that most people talk about starting a new year as if the slate is wiped clean and everything is starting anew.

I've been thinking about that a lot as we came to the start of 2014, and I've come to the realization that I'd rather start the year "an-old."

After all, I've got more than 46 years under my belt, and that didn't go away with the hanging of a new calendar.

I completely understand the desire to use the changing of the calendar as a good place to start over. It's kind of like moving to a new job without having to find new lunch places. Or moving to a new town, but without having to pack and unpack.

Suddenly, there's an expectation that slates are wiped clean, past transgressions are forgiven, and we're all in the clear.

Unfortunately, I've still got a car with some issues. I continue to work a job which I enjoy doing, but which barely pays the bills. And the belt which those 46 years are under isn't getting any smaller.

But I've also got an incredible partner, a great family, and amazing friends around the world. I've got decent health and company-provided health insurance for when I need it. And I have the luxury of being able to consider what to do with any leftover money I can squeeze out.

All of that is coming with me into 2014 - some for better, some for worse. Yes, I made a few wishes as the clock ticked over last night. Yes, I formed some ideas in my brain that I might try to focus on in the new year. And, yes, I bought another lottery ticket - just in case.

Even so, I'm okay with (most of) what I'm bringing with me into the new year. It's taken me a lifetime to get to where I am, and although there may be some "Geez, why did I do that?" points tucked in along the way, pretending that I didn't make the choices that got me here isn't going to make the new year any easier to face.

So, instead of considering today as a day to start anew, I'm declaring it a very good day to start the year an-old. I invite you all to join me since, after all, you're all part of why I am who I am. And if we all started anew, imagine the stories we'd have missed out on.

1 comment:

Robin said...

Like this perspective. Starting "fresh" but knowing that the battle scars and life lines are still there. Thanks for sharing.