Friday, May 8, 2009

Ah... The Suburban Life

I felt like I had a stereotypically "suburban" day today. I did some work from home. Went to the mall to shop. Had lunch. Went to the grocery store. Fertilized the yard. Spent the evening watching TV. 

Is it just me, or doesn't that sound like a perfectly stereotypical suburban weekend day? 

Of course, the interest comes in in the details. (Or, for all our sake, we can hope, right?)

The work I did from home was primarily working with the iWeb application on my iMac, figuring out how to put together a website to attract more freelance writing jobs. Hours of font changes and box tweaks later, I'm putting it aside for a while.

The mall I went to wasn't just any mall, but The Mall of America. I don't really enjoy the place, but I also don't hate it with the fiery passion of a thousand suns (as some of my local friends do). And I find that there are some things you can only get at The Mall, including what I had for lunch: Panda Express Chinese food. (I know it's mall Chinese food. But I like it, and I can't get it anywhere else around here.)

On the way home I actually stopped at both a Walgreen's and a Cub, searching for a couple of things I didn't find either place. But I did watch someone in a BMW block all sorts of traffic in the parking lot. And, while in line, I watched her drop 3 items on the conveyor belt, then walk away to shop for a while -- coming back only after two more people had stacked up behind her. At least her inconsiderate nature was consistent, right?

Once I was home, I finished the spring "weed-n-feed" of our lawn. It's looking better each year. Mostly weed-free at the moment, and lush spring green. (Although I must admit that there are some fun plots around here where the entire yard is covered in brilliant yellow dandelions.) I checked on the rapidly-growing lilac, the clematis which are taking off with an urgency that spring flowers show, and noticed that one of our peonies is already budding. It's amazing how the short growing season forces this rush each spring. 

And tonight, well, it's been very nicely relaxing. Christopher and I watched a little TV together, then split into different rooms to work on our computers. I'm sure we'll both toddle off to bed in the near future, wrapping up our day in the suburbanality of it all. 


1 comment:

Christopher said...

Hey - wait a minute! We're not in the suburbs - Richfield is a while three blocks away!